Laparoscopic adjustable gastric band surgery or lap band surgery reduces the capacity of the stomach, so you have complete control over the amount of food you eat. This form of bariatric surgery, slows the rate at which food passes from the stomach to the intestines, so this facilities overall weight loss.
What is Lap Band Surgery – Adjustable Gastric Banding Surgery?
Developed to aid in long-term weight loss, Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding procedure has been used by leading bariatric surgeons worldwide to overcome severe obesity. Sustained weight loss with the adjustable gastric banding surgery is achieved by reducing the capacity of the stomach. The adjustable gastric band is a simple silicone ring that is placed around the upper part of the stomach, forming a small gastric pouch to limit and control the amount of food you eat and slow the emptying process from the stomach into the intestines.
Lapband® and Johnson & Johnson Band®
Inside the band resides an inflatable, circular balloon that can be inflated and deflated by using an access port placed under the skin of the abdomen. Once the adjustable gastric band has been placed, the surgeon can sequentially inflate the balloon by performing an “adjustment”.It is the injection of a small amount of fluid [saline] via the access port into the balloon inside the band to cause restriction. This method of surgery is commonly called the lap band surgery.
Fullness and satisfaction is experienced with just a small amount of food. The reduced food intake results in dramatic weight loss.
About the Allergan LAP-BAND®
Approved in the United States by the FDA in 2001, Allergan is the pioneer of adjustable gastric banding in the United States – this is a constantly evolving technology that requires a great deal of research and development. The LAP-BAND® System works by helping to control food intake and supporting long term, sustainable weight loss.
About the Johnson & Johnson™ Band
Was designed and developed with the ideas of safety and comfort in mind. The Johnson & Johnson Personalized Banding Solution makes it easier for you to participate in healthy eating and lifestyle habits, while simultaneously fighting off the negative health effects of obesity.
Laparoscopic Placement of an Allergan LapBand and Johnson & Johnson Band
The Adjustable Gastric Band surgery is done laparoscopically (also known as keyhole surgery). A large incision is not required. The stomach area is accessed via four to six very small incisions (1cm) which are then closed with self- dissolving sutures. The recovery time is rapid. Many people are able to resume regular activities a week or less after having surgery. The Adjustable Gastric Band operation is performed under general anesthesia and can last between 30 minutes to over an hour.
- Lowest rate of surgical complications
- Highest rate of failure post operatively
- Requires lifelong maintenance
- Inability to eat many foods
- Not recommended unless you have easy access to long term maintenance
Adjustable Gastric Banding, Lap Band Diet
To maximize the benefits of Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding Journey you should eat several small nutritionally balanced meals each day. It will still be important to eat foods that are low in calories, fat, cholesterol, and sugar. During the first week after surgery you should be eating soft food. Then you should start eating vegetable and fruits from the second week and start to include meat patties, fish, egg or beans from the third week. From the fourth week you may eat chicken but the food have to be moist by sauce or any moistening additions you prefer as long as it is not dry food. From the fifth week ground beef can be eaten and normal meals can be resumed starting from the sixth week. Small meals and 8 cups of water every day combined with eating slower makes for a healthier diet. You will begin noticing significant weight loss in the first weeks!
- Remember to chew slowly and take smaller bites and
- You Include lots of protein in meals which will help you feel full longer
- Avoid high-calorie drinks
- Drink more water, but not during meals
Advantages of the Adjustable Gastric Band Include:
- It can be inserted laparoscopically without a large incision
- It does not require any opening in the gastrointestinal tract which reduces the risk of infection
- There is no staple line to come apart
- It is adjustable
- It is fully reversible
- It is tolerated well by most persons of all ages and physical conditions
- There is no mal-absorption or “dumping syndrome”
- This operation may be particularly suited to persons who are from 50 to 200 pounds overweight
- Short hospital stay (around 24 hours)
Disadvantages of Lap Band Surgery:
Although it has promising effects, Lap Band Surgery has some disadvantages like:
- Mechanical functional defects of the band may be present
- Surgical complications less common as infection, pain in the incision site, etc
- Possibility of leakage from the band, mechanical dislocation of the band, infection of the solution inside it or developing some GIT disturbances in susceptible patients after the surgery
You can get the advantages and avoid the disadvantages of lap band surgery by following the recommendations and instruction given by a well known experienced surgeon. Be familiar with the risks and side effects of lap band surgeries any major surgical operation carries risk. Other weight loss surgeries you should consider:
Gastric Sleeve Surgery – Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy
Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery – RNY Gastric Bypass
Only members can leave feedback for listings. Sign In
No reviews yet
Last updated: Jan 30, 2018 4:19 am