Porcelain Fused to Metal Crown
Porcelain fused to metal crowns (or PFM crowns) can be referred to as full-cast crowns which has porcelain fused on most or all parts of the tooth. Metal alloys with a high melting temperature are used to fuse porcelain to the surface and preventing the metal from melting. This ensures the porcelain to bond without changing its color.
When the tooth is prepared for such crowns, a large part of the tooth tissue gets removed making space for porcelain as well as the metal.
Porcelain crowns are the most preferred crowns as they easily match the color of the adjacent teeth better than the metallic crowns. However, they cause more damage to the opposite teeth than the resin and metal crowns. Some cases show that the porcelain portion of the crown can also break or chip off from the teeth.
In receding gums, such crowns are not suitable as the porcelain can start showing distinctively. They are best suited for the back and front teeth.
Advantages of porcelain fused to metal crowns
- The underlying metal fused with the porcelain provides stability and strength to the crown.
- It has great aesthetic appeal and is most commonly preferred as it gives the restored tooth a natural look.
- They have a very high rate of success in the long run.
- The cosmetic appearance of these crowns is commendable but they are less appealing than other types.
- They make the gums more vulnerable to gingival inflammation as compared to porcelain fused to gold and porcelain crowns.
- Restoring tooth with these crowns requires a large part of the tooth structure to be removed.
- Porcelain from the crown can easily break or chip off.
- The teeth which bite against these crowns bet worn out in the long run.
- Increased cost becomes a major drawback when precious metals are fused.
PFM crowns are nothing but a hybrid between porcelain and metal crowns. Initially a metal shell is prepared which can fit perfectly over the concerned tooth. Then a porcelain veneer is fused on the metal shell which gives the crown a natural looking appearance.
The best part of these crowns is the stability and strength which is unmatched to any other restorations available today.
These are best for patients looking for natural look and durability.
Last few years have seen a lot of advancement in the field of porcelain fused to metal crowns. Patients with all porcelain crowns are getting theirs replaced with these ones. The latest type of Captek crowns have also done away with the black line that becomes visible around the patients gum line. These crowns have been the commonest option for dentists as well as for patients for over 35 years.
PFM is a preferred choice when bridges for the long run are required and night grinding is a problem. Since these crowns are a combination of porcelain and metal they are accepted worldwide and well known for the treatment they cater. They are trusted not only by the patients but also by the doctors all over the globe.
Our prices are all inclusive, meaning that we do not
charge you for your consultation, any periapical x-rays, impressions, wax up
models, temporaries, taxes, etc.
Please also remember that we have a 10% cash discount for cash payments, a 5% discount for payments made via PayPal.
We will help you with your insurance forms if you have any.
Other services we offer our
patients is transportation to and from all of your appointments as well
as to and from the airport (8am-7pm).
We go the extra mile to make your trip a pleasant experience.
- Airport Pick Up
Only members can leave feedback for listings. Sign In
No reviews yet
Last updated: Dec 04, 2015 10:29 pm